Thursday 8 November 2012

Casey Wyatt...Undead Space Initiative!

Hello friends!

Please join me in welcoming the lovely and talented Casey Wyatt to my Room today! Casey has done some fascinating work and I'm really excited she's here to share some of it with us. We're both mythology buffs, so she's welcome here anyday! She's graciously answered some questions for me and a wonderful excerpt. So what are you staring at me for!! Keep on truckin' and have a gander at the wonderful Casey Wyatt and her books!




1) Did you always want to be an author?  If not, what else would you have done?

I always knew that I had to do something creative. From a very young age I drew and painted – all the way into high school. I even considered art school but then talked myself out it. Instead, I earned degrees in Anthropology and Psychology. Ironically, I work for a major insurance company which involves no creativity at all. I’ve enjoyed writing for as long as I could remember but I didn’t go professional until 2010. It took me a long time to realize that I was a writer. You know that line from Godfather III – “they keep pulling me back in”? That’s what happened to me when I tried to stop writing.   

2) What is the strangest job you ever had and why?

While in college (in Washington, DC) one of my work study jobs was in the Psychology department. I cleaned, fed, and watered the rats for almost two years. This doesn’t count as a strange job, but I was also an intern at the Smithsonian (National Museum of American History and at the National Zoo). Those were the best “jobs” ever. 

3) What is your favourite book of all time and why?

I love a lot of books. But if you have to twist my arm, it’s The Lord of the Rings. I first read it when I was thirteen. One of my older cousins gave me his boxed set and I devoured the books. Over and over again. I loved the epic scope of the story and the battle of good versus evil. It was also the first grown-up fantasy series I ever read and I haven’t stopped reading fantasy (and sci-fi) since. I still have that boxed set too.  

4) Describe your ideal hero or heroine (details please! *wink wink*)

My ideal hero is honorable, humorous and somewhat damaged. But not so damaged that he can’t be redeemed. I’m also a sucker for a man with fine abs, which, if you don’t mind me saying, Rosanna, is why I stopped and took a closer look at The Selkie (which I loved!!). Mmmm, love me some abs. Of course stunning looks don’t matter if the guy is a jerk! My heroes have to be admirable, and ultimately, good men! 
Rosanna: Aw, thanks Casey!!
 
5) What comes first for you: plot or character?

Usually the character comes first and the plot follows almost immediately after. For both my published novels – Mystic Ink and The Undead Space Initiative – the heroines came first. I got the idea for Nix – a Neried who runs a tattoo shop – from a baby name book. Nix’s real name is Eudora (baby said she was one of the fifty daughters of Nereus). She hates the name (can’t blame her). Of course she’s rebellious and doesn’t blindly follow orders which plays a major role in the story. For The Undead Space Initiative – Cherry Cordial just popped into my head while I was driving. In my head I heard – vampire stripper must flee to Mars- and the story took off from there. I guess my head is a strange place!!

6) Who is, hands down, the sexiest actor of all time?

I have so many favorites! Don’t make me choose just one! I do love Brad Pitt (especially in Troy – yum). And Chris Hemsworth in Thor – he could replace Brad someday. I guess I have a thing for blond hair (though there a plenty of sexy dark haired guys too like Johnny Depp). My hubby is a blond, now that I think about it.

7) Describe your writing style please.

I’m a planner/plotter. Though, I do indulge in writing the first few pages and I deviate off my outline whenever I feel like it. The first three pages of The Undead Space Initiative and Mystic Ink are pretty much unchanged. They were the “test pages” I indulged in before I wrote each book. I used to sit down and just write what came into my head (pantser), but then I could never finish a book that way. Now, I have an outline and a bunch of pre-work done first. Then I write. Most books, I can bang-out in about 6-8 weeks after I spend a few months planning and plotting.
 
8) What is on the horizon for you? Any interesting news or books we should know about?

I just completed a novel - Misfortune Cookie and I’ve started submitting it. And, even though I just said I can finish a book in 6-8 weeks, I’m trying to finish Mystic Storm, the sequel to Mystic Ink. The hero is Zephyr, God of the West Wind, and he is just driving me crazy!! My goal is to finish the book in October.

When I do have exciting news, you can be sure I will tell everyone on my website www.caseywyatt.com. I love to hear from readers, writers and friends! You can also find me in the usual places –


Twitter @CaseyWyatt1



 

Thank you so much for having me as guest today, Rosanna!

Buy Links:
 
 

The Undead Space Initiative:




 

Mystic Ink:

Amazon:


 


 


 

Excerpt: The Undead Space Initiative:

Reality settled in. We were leaving the Earth. I’d be strapped into a tube and hurtled into space. If we survived the journey, I’d be on my way to Mars.

 My kneecaps dissolved to water. I clutched the railing, trying to calm my stomach and stay upright.

“You don’t have to go, Cherry,” Ian said from behind me.

I stiffened. His offer seemed more tempting by the minute, yet I couldn’t abandon my family. “I’m afraid to board the ship. But I can’t disobey my sire.”

“You could ask him to emancipate you. You’re plenty old enough.”

“Why are you still here?” Old enough? No woman likes to be told she’s old. Especially when it’s true.

“Concerned is all,” he shrugged and joined me by the railing. He stared out, side profile as handsome as the full frontal.

“Don’t be. I’m a big girl,” I chirped with way more bravado than I felt. Now I knew what Alice experienced when she fell into the rabbit hole. Afraid, confused. Freaked out. I reminded myself Jonathan was a great leader. Even though we had our personal baggage, he would do his best to ensure we survived. He hadn’t let us down yet.

Heavy machines moved into position. The workers unlatched more hoses, wires and mechanical items from the ship’s side. Blood pounded in my head, caused by my tight jaw and grinding teeth.

“I didn’t mean to offend. Or imply Jonathan can’t defend you.” Ian’s voice softened. The low tone made my toes curl. “I hoped we could prove our innocence together.”

 

Casey Wyatt Bio

 

Casey Wyatt has no personal knowledge of the paranormal, but she hopes someday that may change. If there are ancient Gods, elves or satyrs living nearby, they’re more than welcome to visit. Bring pizza and chocolate please!
 

Her paranormal romance and urban fantasy novels have won or placed in numerous RWA contests. When not writing, Casey enjoys time with her family, loves to read, and enjoys knitting and crocheting.

She lives in a bustling Connecticut town with her husband, two sons and an assortment of pets (none of which are shape-shifters).

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me Rosanna! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. both of you are amazing authors I loved The Undead Space Initiative as well as all of your books Rosanna so far I think that For The Love of a God is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carin, both for coming out to see Casey's amazing books, and for your very kind comments!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Carin! I appreciate you stopping by. It's nice to see you. I loved The Selkie. I read it in almost one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! So glad you could pop by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nicole :o) I appreciate the visit!

      Delete
  5. I love autumn with all the brilliant colors: oranges, yellows and reds of leaves. I love crisp, cool mornings where the sky is so blue it looks endless and the air is so fresh in your lungs. I love snuggling up in a warm throw on a cold autumn day with a good book. Of course, I love snuggling up with a good book about anytime of the year. I love Thanksgiving because it is a time to remember all the many blessings in my life and express thanks. I love baking spicy pumpkin pies with dollops of cream.

    The last book I finished was “Unravel Me” by Kendall Ryan. I liked it because the hot story line was so unexpected. I also love the steamy passion along the likes of Sylvia Day and Sylvain Reynard, but I hate mentioning favorite authors because the list is long. I appreciate the many styles authors use to weave stories of mystery, love, intrigue, preternatural and inspiration. I love reading because I can go anywhere, any time in my mind and imagine indescribable things.

    Thank you for doing the Autumn Blog giveaway--and to get acquainted with new authors.

    Gail djgandyfan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete